Reading Notes Part A: Narayan's Ramayana

Through these stories, one thing that sticks out to me the most is the avatars of the gods. I find that story mechanic very interesting. It's like I can retell the same clash of rivals over and over throughout different time periods. It's definitely something to look into.

I'm actively looking for villains to use in my stories, and I rather like the character Ravana. You just can't beat a 10-headed antagonist. I'm curious how far I can go with manipulating the story elements. I need to look deeper into old stories from previous students and see how they named different characters. I'd like to use different names just to make the story feel like my own, but at the same time I don't want it to seem ambiguous as to who I'm referencing with my characters.

Back to Ravana though: Ravana is an devotee to Shiva, who I immediately started thinking could be the "background mastermind" for some evil plots. But as I did some more research into Shiva, I feel like it wouldn't be very fair of me to do so. Sure, Shiva is a god of destruction, but from what I understand, the destructive aspects of Shiva are present so that rebirth can happen. It's just a part of the entire concept of the gods, and I don't know if it would be fair in my stories to depict Shiva as purely evil.

In any case, the stories this week have some gears turning and hopefully I can put some pieces together for my stories during the semester. Here is an interesting picture of Ravana I found. I don't really have a taste for gory and explicit storytelling, but I guess we'll see how they go!
Ravana Losing His Heads: Source


Bibliography
Narayan's Ramayana by Kamban & R, K. Narayan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an IT guy

Week 12 Storytelling: Words Heeded