Week 3 Story: A Father's Heartbreak

I could feel it the second the words left her mouth. My time is coming to a swift end. The sins of my past have finally caught up to me. My son, I am sorry.

I looked at the woman who stood before me. Her request left me speechless. I'm trying to find a way around this. Some loophole?

Alas no. She loves her son and will do anything to see him succeed. He will not take kindly to this venomous betrayal, but she is too blinded by her love to see.

Perhaps this is just fate possessing her? Maybe my curse is clouding her judgement and forcing her to do this. It doesn't matter though.

A demand has been made of me. I am honor-bound to carry this out. No matter how unjust it is. No matter if it will kill me.

How long ago was it? It's as if I'm back in that forest from so long ago. I was young and strong. Those keen ears that could hear a deer sating its thirst from far away. From the sound alone I could determine the direction and distance of my target.

I can still remember how it felt to let loose that arrow. I can hear it whisper through the air and hit its mark. That feeling of triumph that was so quickly replaced by horror.

I brought that boy to his parents. I knew that my actions were indirectly their death sentence. Without their boy, those blind parents have no way of surviving.

In their grief, they cursed me to the same fate. And here I stand now with their judgment crashing down upon me.

I know my boy will continue making his mark on this world. I know that he will become I greater man than I could ever hope to be. That is not what fuels my heartbreak.

He will do great deeds in this world. And I won't be there to see it. As surely as those parents from long ago did, our separation will be my end. Goodbye my son.

Kaikeyi Demanding Her Boon: Source

Author's Note
This story is based on the story of Kaikeyi demanding a boon promised to her by Dasaratha. This boon was to exile Rama for 14 years so that Bharata could become King. Due to a curse Dasaratha received long ago, this marked his death. My story follows that scene, but is entirely internal monologue from Dasaratha.

Bibliography
The Ramayana by R. K. Narayan

Comments

  1. Hi Dawson!

    This is so vivid. It can be really difficult to capture train-of-thought monologues while maintaining a cohesive progression, and you did a great job. I also really like the pace that you've set; the way you've organized and metered this makes me feel somber, and a little bit doomed reading it. Very nice job on emphasis and tone! I would tremendously enjoy reading more from you in this vein, from other characters as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Dawson!

    I absolutely loved this story so much! It made the whole arc of Dasaratha having to banish Rama so much more tragic due to the more personal view of the conflict. You were able to capture Dasaratha's anguish and grief over what is happening and what is yet to transpire. I really liked the short and sweet nature of his soliloquy as he accepts his fate and is saddened by his missing all of Rama's future deeds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an IT guy

Week 12 Storytelling: Words Heeded