Topic Research: More Character Exploration

Supernatural Characters - Rakshasa 
I'm definitely going to want to use a unique antagonist in several of my stories, but it may be fun to have one of my characters encounter a "generic evil entity" early on in their stories. I think the Rakshasa can fill that role easily. The Rakshasa were created by Brahma's breath and started to eat him. Vishnu saved Brahma by banishing the Rakshasa to Earth. While there are good and bad Rakshsa, their characteristics make it pretty easy to write them in as villains. Here's a picture I found of a Rakshasa:
Rakshasa: Source


Ravana
Ravana seems to be one of the most well-known Rakshasas. He is the King of Lanka and fought against Rama in the Ramayana. A story I may use here is where he goes to take revenge on Rama, but ends up falling in love with Sita when he sees her and kidnaps her. I'm not sure where exactly I'll go with the story, but something about trying to wrongfully taking something for yourself and reaping the consequences could be something to write about. Although that concept sounds like it's straying too far away from the original story. We'll see.

Indrajit
A very interesting Rakshasa. He is the son of Ravana and features in the same story from the war between Ravana and Rama. Ravana tried to force the constellations to align in a way that would make Indrajit invincible, but one planet refused and as a result Indrajit ends up dying. It's possible that I could write a story where someone goes through great lengths to get their way (this character would be an antagonist) but ultimately either makes a mistake or the ones they try to oppress retaliate. Again, I'll have to be in the mood for it when I'm actually writing the story.

Vibhishana
Yet again, a relative of Ravana in the same story arc. However this character seems very different than the others. He sided with Rama during his war with Ravana after trying to convince Ravana to return Sita back to Rama. This "changing sides" for the good would be a very interesting plot development in a story I could write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an IT guy

Week 12 Storytelling: Words Heeded